Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

I shall call it: Saturday Morning (for lack of a better title)

So...it's 5 AM.  And I've been up since 2:45.  Oh...and it's Saturday.  My parents would never recognize me.  Back when I was still living at home (I mean their home.  I live at home now, too, but it's my home...just wanted to clarify), I used to sleep through my alarm on a regular basis.  I don't mean that I would shut it off and then, consequently, oversleep...I mean I would literally sleep while the alarm went off next to me for who knows how long.  Sometimes the only thing that would wake me up would be my dad angrily shouting out my name from my parents' bedroom (next to mine), telling me to shut off the alarm.  So, I would shut it off and then go back to sleep.  Alarms have no real meaning to me.  I do not become alarmed.

I almost slept through a college dormitory fire alarm once.  Those things are designed to wake a completely drunk person up from a sound sleep.  For the record, I was not drunk.  I woke up because, in addition to the screeching alarm, my RA was calling out to me and pounding on the door, and my roommate was also trying to rouse me.  I asked if I could just stay in bed.  My roommate laughed (she was always very amused by me...even when I wasn't trying to be funny).  My RA told me no...that it wasn't a drill.  I was pretty sure I didn't care.  I think I would have stayed if they had let me.

Historically, I've had really poor judgement when I've just been woken up.  When my alarm went off, I wouldn't think, "Just five more minutes," and then hit the snooze button once or twice.  No.  I wouldn't think anything but, "Sound.  Make stop. [randomly push buttons on evil sound making device next to me]  Good.  I sleep now."  People have asked me, "Have you tried putting your alarm clock on the other side of the room so that you have to get up to turn it off?"  My response to them was that 1) doing so would only benefit me if the alarm actually woke me up in the first place (and the odds on that aren't great), and 2) yes...I've tried that...and it doesn't help.  I just get up, turn it off, and go back to bed...because, as I mentioned, I have really poor judgement when I've just been woken up.

Anyway...all this to say...I find it truly amazing that I've been able, for the most part, to keep up with my husband's new schedule these last few weeks.  Call it proof that God still works miracles and answers prayer.  Or maybe it's a result of being a lighter sleeper now that I'm a mother and have grown accustomed to waking up in the middle of the night to feed my son.  We'll see if it lasts.  I really hope it does, as the early morning hours that I put in doing stuff for work before Sammy wakes up really make my work from home days so much more manageable.  And so do afternoon naps...which, unfortunately, aren't always a given...but are oh-so-cute when they do happen.

Sammy fell asleep while nursing, so instead of putting him down (which I knew would wake him up), I just let him sleep on my lap while I worked.  Adorable!...even if my opinion IS biased!

Hansen is my hero, though.  I've been waking up with him and helping him get his lunch/breakfast together, but he actually gets up, gets showered and dressed, leaves the house, and physically works all day.  This week he will have put in 40 hours (in spite of the holiday on Monday) and about 20 hours of overtime.  Then there's me...patting myself on the back for waking up and sitting at a computer for a mere 40 hours per week.  He wins...hands down.  What a guy!

Well...the sun is about to rise, so I should probably get up and start doing something with my Saturday morning so that when Hansen gets home from work there might be some hope for a few hours of family fun.  I'm not sure what that will entail, since "fun" is a relative term based on our energy level at any given moment.  Maybe we will go to an apple orchard.  Or maybe we will take naps.


No comments:

Post a Comment