Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Ginger Baby...

Here we see the redheaded child napping on his
non-redheaded mother's chest.
My child is a redhead. A carrot top.  A ginger.  Always has been, hopefully always will be.  My husband is not.  Neither am I.  And know what else I’m not?  A geneticist.  So, no…I can’t tell you exactly where my kid’s red hair comes from.  A light Google search indicates that since neither my husband nor I have red hair, we must both at least be carriers of the gene.  Beyond that, I’m still unclear how it all works.  And honestly, I just don’t care enough to research it further.  I feel like somehow we won some kind of genetic lottery, and that’s pretty much all the explanation I need.

However, there are multitudes of people out there that are just not satisfied with that level of explanation.  It is for those folks that I’m tempted to get this web address printed out on cards to pass out as the need arises:  http://www.myredhairgene.com/page1/page1.html.  I can’t tell you how many people—friends, family, and complete strangers alike—have stopped and asked me, “Where does the red hair come from?”  Some of those people have asked me more than once…as though they expect me to have done my homework since we last spoke and be able to give a more satisfactory answer this time.
Redheaded children sometimes enjoy reading.
I don’t know why this bothers me.  I really don’t.  I understand that most people are just trying to display friendly interest in my adorable little boy.  Red hair isn't super common.  I get it.  But sometimes, it irks me.  Especially when I encounter a complete stranger who feels they need to know.  Why?  Why do they care where the red hair comes from?  They don’t know anything else about me, but the only thing they WANT to know is why my kid’s hair is red?  Really?  Ok.

I’m not unfriendly, per se, but I do find it quite difficult to talk to strangers.  I’m shy.  I’m introverted.  Catch me on a really good day and I might be up for a brief chat with a random stranger, but generally speaking, the thought kind of scares me.  Maybe if I was more outgoing, none of this would bother me so much.

But then again, maybe it might.  Because what are they really trying to say by asking me that?  Are you asking if my husband is NOT my son’s father?  Well…that is none of your business.  Although, really all you need to do is look at them both to know the answer to that.  Sammy is his daddy’s little clone.  When people ask us when we’re all together, Hansen sometimes likes to joke that Sammy is the mail man’s baby…to which I always reply, “We have a mail lady.

A redheaded child can have a non-redheaded father!
Maybe I’m reading too much into all of this.  Chances are, like I said before, people are just trying to be friendly.  They see my cute kid.  They want to say something, because hey…that’s a cute kid!  And the first thing that really jumps out at them is his hair color.  Deep down I know this is probably what really prompts the question.  Which is why I always smile, shrug and reply, “Well, there are a couple of redheads in Hansen’s extended family, and my dad had reddish hair when he was younger.  My hair has copper highlights…or it did before I started dyeing it.”  No one ever seems really happy with that answer, though.  They always walk away with a slightly baffled/disappointed expression. 


Ginger babies enjoy playing at the park.
So…I think I have come up with 3 exciting new ways to respond.  Here they are:

1.)     Pass out the aforementioned cards with the red hair gene website printed on them.  Let people do their own research.  Could include other facts/myths about redheads, too.  For example:  Redheads do, in fact, have souls.  They do not steal other people’s souls.  They do not become vampires when they die.  They do not, in my experience, bring bad luck.  They are not conceived out of “unclean” sex.  They are not going extinct.  They may or may not have bad tempers…just like people of any other hair color.  They are not witches or wizards (Ron Weasley not withstanding).  

a.       Pros:  Minimal awkward interactions with complete strangers.
b.     Cons:  Could be costly.  Would probably come off as rather unfriendly...or possibly crazy.

2.)     Act really awkward.  Avoid eye contact.  Mumble that “we don’t really like to talk about that.”
a.       Pros:  Might be fun to see how people react to that.
b.      Cons:  Would probably make both myself and the other party feel really uncomfortable.  And I’d feel guilty for implying some sort of family drama that doesn't really exist.  On second thought, probably won’t go through with this one.

3)     Tell people I dye his hair.
a.     Pros:  The reactions to this one would likely be really funny.  And of course I'd tell them I was kidding.  Probably.  This one has some real potential.
b.     Cons:  I'm not sure I see any.

Anyone else have any ideas for me? 

One thing I found out in my recent, half-hearted research… Denmark believes it’s an honor to have a redheaded child!  I am not Danish, but Hansen is.  So his family gets it!  One thing is for certain…I love my little redhead.  All the awkward inquiries in the world couldn't make me wish that ginger hair away!
My adorable little carrot top.

1 comment: